Friday, 20 January 2012

Winter sunshine

We've been having cold frosty mornings with bright sunshine and arctic blue skies.
Hats, gloves and scarves are being worn. People are even murmuring about the possibility of snow this weekend.
So I've spent the week looking at pictures of beaches and trying to find us a holiday to look forward to. Finally, I booked us an apartment halfway up this hillside in Carbis Bay...

Everything they say about the light and colour on this part of the coast is true. The sea is particularly blue; the beaches particularly white and the boys in their multi-coloured swimming trunks suddenly appear to be playing in High Definition!
Anyway, we've been here before and liked it.
And we can always try somewhere new later on in the year.

Snow or not - I found one or two signs that spring (and some sunshine) will be here eventually...

There are hundreds of these furry buds on the little Magnolia Stellata - they'll look like torn ribbons when they're out!


New shoots peeping under the fence - hyacinths and white daffodils I think!

An azalea that's still going - in the wintery sunshine.

Winter viburnum in the kitchen - there's always something that can  be picked!
 The frosty mornings have made it a real pleasure to be inside with a cup of coffee, a heap of hot buttered toast and my laptop on my knee. But somehow not much writing has been accomplished. (I think the perfect writing weather is hard drumming-down rain.)
My wordcount is hovering around 40,000.
Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm at the beginning, the middle or the end of a story - I continue to plod onwards at a paltry rate of around 1,000 words a day.
Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment