Friday, 3 February 2012

The frost is back

It's really cold out now.
The park is no longer muddy - it crackles and crunches underfoot on our way to and from school. I had to take my gloves off yesterday to answer a text message; it was only a short message but by the time I was back in my gloves, my fingers were aching with cold.
(I've even resorted to wearing my ridiculous microwaveable slipper-boots!)
Brrr!
My nine year old has been off school all week with tonsilitis. He's been wrapped up in bed with hot-water bottles and fleecy blankets to keep out the cold while he drinks glass after glass of iced water.
Double brrr!
He's missing at least a week of every term with painful tonsils now. Sooner or later I suspect he'll have to have them removed. I had my tonsils taken out when I was his age and it made a huge difference. I wasn't in pain any more, I could sleep properly at night, and I could go to school every day like all the other children. I thought it was amazing!
Trouble is...he's my little boy...and the thought of someone in surgical gloves going into his throat with a scalpel has been keeping me awake for the last few nights. In relation to my own child, I no longer think it's amazing - I think it's horrifying!
Bringing up children is so very different in practice to theory Every Single Day!


I've been indulging in an orgy of baking to warm up the kitchen. Shepherds pies, fish pies, baked potatoes, chicken stews, chocolate brownies and (since raspberries are half-price at the moment) raspberry muffins!

Word count has finally creaked up to 45,000 - how very underwhelming...

No comments:

Post a Comment