Sunday, 22 July 2012

More things I like...

I like these matching liquid soap and hand lotions from Heathcote and Ivory - they're pretty and they smell wonderful. And since they're currently on sale - I brought three sets!



I like Sports Day. I decided this after attending two Sports Days recently - both of which ended with a picnic surrounded by my boys and their friends and teachers. The Infants' Sports Day was a delightfully shambolic affair, with very little emphasis on winning and events which included bouncing balls around rubber rings, balancing beanbags on their heads, stepping through hoops, walking along the wooden benches and of course, the sack race which is always hilarious!
My utterly uncompetitive six year old won his running race quite calmly and the other mothers laughed at the disbelief and astonishment in my tone as I cheered him over the line.
The Juniors' Sports Day was a far more serious affair - and my nine year old really wanted to win his race. It was the hurdles. They suddenly looked very high - and lots of the hurdlers who went before slipped on the wet, muddy track and fell nastily. But he was undeterred; he hurdled high and he ran fast. It was tremendously exciting! I could see how badly he wanted to win, and his closest competitor really made him fight for it. I shouted so loudly as he went over the line that I hurt my throat and made a sort of croaking noise. It's impossible to describe that sort of pride without resorting to cliche - my heart really did seem to swell up and fill my entire chest when I heard the headmaster announcing my son's name - over the microphone - as the winner!


I like Charles Rennie Mackintosh's floral watercolours. He painted them whilst on holiday in Suffolk with his wife Margaret who was also an artist - they began to collaborate around this time. The flowers are simple yet stylish, careless yet accurate, and the colours are muted yet striking. I've been collecting them for a while now and I'm always excited to find a new one. I've mounted them in different sized frames and hung them up and down the hallway against a yellowish background for a sort of print-room effect.





I like Zooey Deschanel's retro outfits.
My six year old has downloaded 'Bridge to Terabithia' from Netflix onto his father's IPhone (impressive grasp of technology there!) and has been watching it obsessively. He's struggling with the idea that there can still be a happy ending after the death of one of the main characters. And I don't think husband or self have been particularly helpful to him since we both agreed that the film would've been much better if Leslie hadn't died.
(I can remember when the nine year old had a similar struggle with the concept of mortality - he refused to go outside for a few weeks in case a tree fell on him!)
Anyway, all this is to say that 'Bridge to Terabithia' brought Zooey Deschanel and her outfits to my attention. Who cares about mortality when you can get clothes that make you look cute and kooky?








I like summer fruits and flowers...










No comments:

Post a Comment