Friday, 14 September 2012

Submitting time...

September. It's already little bit chillier and ever so slightly darker in the mornings and evenings. I'm in socks again - and the occasional jumper.


Outside my window, there's a horse chestnut tree with a very brown and tired look. It's going to start dropping those giant leaves all over the garden any day now...
I've sewn all the little name-tapes into the new school uniforms, I've labelled the new lunchboxes and waterbottles and the boys have been back at school for a week now.



And, just like this time last year, it's also time to start submitting to agents again.

I know, I said I was going to practise my editing skills first...
As it turns out, I have no editing skills. I've read through my ms again and found a few typpos. I've shown it to a friend who said encouraging things. I think I'm just going to submit to a handful of agents and see if I get any feedback.






These are the agents I've chosen so far. They all seem to welcome commercial YA  - and they all accept submissions by email.
I'll try to find another three agents who don't look too scary later today, then wait to see if I hear anything.
It's a nerve-racking process, not least because all the agents want something different. The first five pages cut and pasted into an email...the first 10,000 words in a Word doc...the first three chapters in PDF. One requests a SHORT synopsis, another a VERY short synopsis. One wants this included in the covering letter, another prefers it as an attachment.
The pressure of getting it right makes my brain seize up and refuse to work properly. Statistically, I am bound to send something stupid to at least one of the above.

However...I read this quote from Sarah Davies yesterday - "Agent land is a feeding frenzy at the moment. Mss flying around, everyone reading madly, everyone seeking The Talent and jumping fast."

Ooo! I felt a real surge of excitement at the thought of being identified as Talent and jumped on fast!

No...by a literary agent, I meant...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the submissions. Those are three awesome agents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - although at this point I'd happily settle for any kind of agent - be they awesome or just a little bit rubbish!

    ReplyDelete